Cadence Training Company spent four days hammering 10 Marine athletes at tryouts in Florida. The first day wasn't too bad and he was excited about how much he was already learning. The second day, he cramped up during the 4-hour bike ride and afternoon swim. Not exactly the birthday he had hoped for. His incredible mettle helped him come back strong the next morning by running a fast 3200, impressing the coaches.
That night, head coach Brian Walton verbally extended an invitation for him to join the team, along with his training partner D'Arcy and his newfound friend Tripp. They loved Brian's determination and level of physical fitness. It's just his technique that flounders. Apparently Brian swims, bikes, and runs "like a football player." They refer to him as their long term project!
He received his official welcome email today and spoke with his coach Todd Parker. I read an article by his coach in Triathlete Magazine today. So I am getting the feeling this guy might know what he's talking about.
Brian will remain here at Quantico and work his regular job in addition to training. He will compete in the All Armed Forces Triathlon in California in May. He dreams bigger than anyone I know so who knows where this will take him. Congrats Brian!
Little C-Monster is doing well. His teething pain has subsided, he's happier, and his appetite has returned. He didn't allow me to stay at my MOMS Group today. I hope this stranger anxiety phase doesn't last long. He loves to give us hugs and kisses and he stands up constantly. The picture below shows him doing one of his favorite activities, shutting doors.
He also had fun last week playing with Alex (7) and Bryce (5) while their parents vacationed in Colorado (we were envious). School dropoffs and pickups, basketball, gymnastics...wow...what a lifestyle change going from one child to three! Alex and Bryce are great kids though. Caden chased them around the house like a puppy.
The kids help Brian blow out his birthday candles
Bryce, Caden, and Alex with their Disney World Countdown Chain
I got my MRI results back today and I have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. It's a genetic problem that causes inflammation and pain at my kneecaps. I don't need surgery but I do need physical therapy. I have a terrible track record with medical stuff but I'm going to give it a good effort. I doubt Brian will be as willing to listen to my whining once I know how to fix it. The doc said running will not help but it is up to me. Of course, you all know what my decision is.
Caden and I are road tripping tomorrow to visit our friends Laurie, Jason, and 1-month-old Honor in Ohio. Yay! We'll be back Saturday and then Brian leaves for a business trip to CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA. What are the chances?! Needless to say, his family is excited. Thanks for reading...
No comments:
Post a Comment